Mark Clements, who will begin his debut season as Artistic Director at Milwaukee Repertory Theater in the fall of 2010, is a multi-nominated and award-winning international theater director whose work has been seen in more than 100 major theaters throughout Europe and the United States.
His recent productions include:
- BORN YESTERDAY at Philadelphia’s Walnut Street Theatre
- LES MISERABLES (2008 Barrymore Award Winner for Best Production Of A Musical), Walnut Street Theatre
- OF MICE & MEN (2007 Barrymore Award Winner for Best Director & Best Production Of A Play), Walnut Street Theatre
- THE MILLINER (Off-Broadway, World Premiere) at Classic Stage Company, New York.
- MY FAIR LADY in Copenhagen and Danish National Tour
- THE THING ABOUT MEN (Off-Broadway Premiere; Winner of the 2004 Outer Critics Circle Award for Best Off Broadway Musical)
- THE THING ABOUT MEN, Walnut Street Theatre
- FOLLOW MY LEADER , Hampstead Theatre/Birmingham Rep UK
- LADY DAY AT EMERSON’S BAR & GRILL, West End, London & UK National Tour
- THE GINGERBREAD LADY for Bath Theatre Royal productions and UK National Tour
- THE BROWNING VERSION (Winner of Barclays/TMA Regional Theatre Award) at Derby Playhouse
- BLUNT SPEAKING (World Premiere) for Chichester Festival Theatre & Lucille Lortel Theatre, New York, both starring Corin Redgrave.
Other productions include:
- SPEAKING IN TONGUES (U.S. Premiere) with Kevin Anderson and Karen Allen, (SDC’s Joe Calloway Award, Best Director Nomination) for the Roundabout Theatre Company, New York
- SPEAKING IN TONGUES (European Premiere; Barclays/TMA Best Director Nomination) for Hampstead Theatre in London
- GREAT EXPECTATIONS (& Adaptation), Walnut Street Theatre
- Creator & Director of SOUL TRAIN (Laurence Olivier Award Nomination) West End and three UK national tours
- THE GLASS MENAGERIE (with Gwen Taylor) and LOVE & MARRIAGE (with Adam Faith), both UK national tours for Bath Theatre Royal productions
- THREE VIEWINGS (British Premiere), New End Theatre
- THE RIVALS and BLOOD MONEY, Walnut Street Theatre
- THE COLLECTOR (World Premiere), Royal Lyceum Edinburgh, UK
- TESS OF THE D’URBEVILLES (& Adaptation), Salisbury Playhouse, UK
- SHIRLEY VALENTINE AND BOUNCERS, Grand Theatre, Swansea, UK
Mark was Artistic Director of the highly successful and award-winning Derby Playhouse in the UK from 1992 to 2002. Productions included: RICHARD III, THE LUCKY CHANGE, THE RIVALS, LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES, DEATH OF A SALESMAN, DANNY BOUNCING (British Premiere), BLITHE SPIRIT, AND A NIGHTINGALE SANG, WATCHING THE SAND FROM THE SEA (WORLD PREMIER), LIPS TOGETHER TEETH APART (British Premier), ASSASSINS, CABARET, A CHORUS LINE, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, GREASE, BLUES IN THE NIGHT, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, A CHORUS OF DISAPPROVAL, FAR FROM THE MADDENING CROWD, ON THE PISTE and UP N UNDER.
From 2002 to 2008, Mark served as Associate Artistic Director for Moving Theatre Company, the production company founded by Vanessa and Corin Redgrave. He has also been Associate Director for the New End Theatre, Hampstead, Royal Theatre Northampton, Torch Theatre, Milford Haven, and New Players Theatre.